Throughout the year, parents, alumni, and friends of the school who are leaders in their fields and are dedicated to service, the arts, science, mathematics, and other disciplines visit Collegiate to share their perspectives and engage the boys and their families. Over the past several years Collegiate has benefited from visits by many distinguished individuals, including Ambassador Richard Holbrooke, author and editor Fareed Zakaria, Executive Director of the ACLU Anthony Romero, economist Edward Glaeser, cellist Yo Yo Ma, President of the Council on ForeignRelations Richard Haas, COO of Right to Play Jeffrey Orridge, photographers Susannah Snowdenand Henry Fair, feminist Gloria Steinem, 70th Secretary of the Treasury Robert Rubin, and severalNobel Laureates including humanitarian and author Eli Wiesel, scientist James Watson, and novelist Toni Morrison.
Included on the school calendar are the following programs:
• The Henry Adams Lecture Series
The generosity of Collegiate alumni, parents, faculty, and staff has allowed the school to endow many of these lecture series, workshops, and the following special funds:
• The William H. McLean Visiting Scholar Program in Mathematics and Science
• The Deborah Kraus Pagano Lectures for Lower and Middle Schools
• The Robby Steel Collegiate Memorial Writing Workshop
• Heather Reid Schaffzin Visiting Artist Program
• The Robert Coles Fellowship in Service
• Alumni Film Festival
• The Wilson Parkhill Fellowship Fund (faculty recognition)
Together, these enriching lectures, workshops and funds have given Collegiate faculty, staff, students, and their families the opportunity not only to hear from speakers and special guests, but also to travel abroad, publish books, patent ideas, engage in advanced studies, and design programs and course offerings to enhance the school’s curriculum.
• The Gwen Herzig Academic Enrichment Fund (students and faculty)
• The Van Horne Foundation for Excellence in Teaching (faculty development)
• The Jacob A. Dresden Fund for Faculty Development